Trains are the lifeline of India, especially in a country where majority of the populace is middle class – Indian Railways comes as a boon to the travelers. And with the latest statistics saying the nationals itself are the biggest traveler, the one who gets benefitted the most are the Indian railways. The only important task here is to get your tickets reserved for the journey.
For the general public, if you are travelling using the Indian railways first time you can use the internet to get through the reservations done. Railways have their own site www.indianrail.gov.in, this site will give you the details of all that you wanted to know about trains. A sister site of Indian railways www.irctc.co.in will help you to book the tickets. Few things that you need to remember before booking the tickets are:-
· Check for availability in all the trains that falls under your destined route. This is a very simple task and can be done using IRCTC website. The idea behind the check is that you get a confirmed ticket and not a Waiting list or RAC tickets.
· For traveling during the vacation time, it is always advisable to get the tickets booked 90 days before the actual due date. During the summer seasons in India, the travel of the most of the people along with their kids to their home town is a regular feature and hence its peak. Therefore if your travel plans are between April to June get the reservation on the day when it is open for the general public to book.
· In case if your ticket booked has status has waiting list, then keep checking the reservation status of the same on a regular basis. And if need be, would recommend getting the Tatkal services to be used, at least one can ensure of a confirmed seat in the train.
· If the status of the ticket that is booked is RAC (reservation against cancellation), keep a check on the reservation status for this. There are more than 90% chances that it will confirm and you will get a berth. But however these details will be available to you only 3 hours before the train departs. Hence it is always necessary to check the status on the net after the chart has been up, you will get to know your berth number.
· Ticket reservation have some concessions which are provided to kids under 12 years, senior citizens, physically handicapped, Railway personnel, Army men and others. Check these details too as this will help you to reduce the cost considerably.
· Check for the train facilities. Before reserving the tickets it is always recommended to check for the facilities available in the train like pantry car available, AC coaches’ facilities and etc. Especially if the journeys are long it is better to check the details.
For any other kind of reservation queries you can always check the railway site or visit the source station for any details on the same. Railways also have their own customer helpline number and you can call them in case of any queries.